What is the school’s mission?
Our mission is to offer quality educational opportunities to children in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City through an innovative public-private partnership.
What is the school’s vision?
Our vision is to be nationally recognized as the premier PK-6 learning center that equips students to excel at their life’s passions.
What is the school’s educational philosophy?
Relationships: The new John W. Rex Charter Elementary School will build positive relationships by…
- Bringing the City into the school to catalyze the downtown community
- Guiding positive and nurturing learning relationships between students, teachers, city leaders, and parents
- Creating ‘learning launcher’ spaces that accommodate all students in a grade level or team
Relevance: Students will be able to address authentic learning situations using problem-solving and critical thinking skills in unpredictable real-world situations. JRCES will create relevant learning experiences by…
- Utilizing the entire downtown landscape as the learning environment
- Capturing the city’s downtown art, cultural, civic, governmental, medical, and business resources
- Creating project-based units of inquiry that will also engage the community as “adjunct faculty”
- Incorporating 21st century technology skills utilizing 1-to-1 devices
- Scheduling weekly job-embedded time for teachers to work and plan collaboratively
- Offering a safe-haven that will support metacognition, processing, and reflection of new learning
- Connecting students by encouraging them to share their learning stories with others
Rigor: JRCES will engage all learners in the new Oklahoma Academic Standards to preparing to be college and/or career ready by…
- Understanding that learning is non-linear and must allow for flex and flow between various learning modalities, developmental milestones, and the time/support needed to develop mastery of learning
- Personalizing learning and demonstrating that schooling is not merely a “widget factory” in which one size fits all
- Building a solid foundation in enduring learning concepts so that all students will be grounded in the essential skills needed to compete successfully in a global economy