Looking to enroll your child in a John Rex Charter School? Take a look at our most frequently asked questions below for insight on the admissions process, rules for enrollment and other important information.

Who may attend John Rex Charter School?

Enrollment preference will be given first to students who live within the attendance zone. Students who live outside of the designated attendance zone need to apply using the #2-4 priority levels.

  1. First, any child residing within the John Rex attendance boundaries. Residency verification is required;
  2. Second, a child who resides outside the John Rex attendance boundaries but within the district boundaries of OKCPS. Residency verification is required;
  3. Third, a child who resides outside the district boundaries of OKCPS and whose parent or guardian is employed within the John Rex attendance boundaries. Employment verification must be provided. An out-of-district transfer form is required upon admission;
  4. Fourth, a child who resides outside the district boundaries of OKCPS and whose parent or guardian is not employed within the JRCS attendance boundaries. An out-of-district transfer form is required upon admission.

After Tier 1, enrollment priority is given to currently enrolled students and siblings of a child currently enrolled. Within Priority Level #2, additional priority will be given to applications for admission whose parent/guardian is employed within the John Rex attendance zone.

If, at any time, the number of eligible students applying for admission exceeds the capacity of the school/grade level, the Head of School will conduct a lottery, which shall be held within the priority level and/or grade level that is oversubscribed, to select the student(s) that may be admitted to John Rex. Enrollment and admission decisions will be based on school capacity limitations, class/grade capacity limitations, program availability, and/or educational needs of the student. Click here to view the John Rex non-discrimination policy.

*NOTE: Students initially enrolling at JRCS beginning in 2016-17 and in subsequent years that wish to retain their seat, must annually complete an “Intent to Re-Enroll” form each spring, remain in good standing, and provide appropriate documentation to re-verify residency. Information will be updated and legal siblings will be enrolled. Each family must provide one of the following documents:

  • Proof of residency in John Rex attendance zone
  • Proof of residency in OKCPS school district
  • Proof of current employment in the John Rex attendance zone

If a student is not able to provide these documents and they wish to continue to attend JRCS, they will be required to re-enter the lottery for their grade level.

Click here to view the attendance zone map.

Where is the school located?

Grades PK-5 are located in our main building located in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City at 500 W. Sheridan. Middle school grades 6-8 will be housed at the Myriad Botanical Gardens at 301 W. Reno Avenue.

If one child in a family gets accepted, will a sibling be accepted also?

All applicants from Tiers 2-4 must go through the lottery. Only sibling(s) of a child that is currently enrolled at John Rex will be given admission preference.

What grades does the school offer?

Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th grades are offered at the elementary school. 6th grade will be offered off site at the Myriad Gardens beginning in the 2018-19 school year. An additional middle school grade will be added each year thereafter.

Will transportation be provided?

No. Parents are responsible for providing transportation to and from school. The school does not provide transportation. JRCS will work with local community and nonprofit agencies to help arrange transportation, if necessary.

Is the John Rex attendance zone part of the OKCPS attendance feeder pattern of neighborhood schools?

JRCS is an overlay to the current OKCPS feeder patterns. Residents in the JRCS attendance zone have priority and JRCS is considered their “first school of choice.” Per an agreement with OKCPS, families may opt out of attending JRCS and enroll at their neighborhood school.

If a family lives in the John Rex attendance zone and DOES NOT want to attend John Rex, what do they need to do?

Per an agreement with OKCPS, families may opt out of attending JRCS and enroll in their regular OKCPS neighborhood school or choose another schooling option for their child. JRCS and OKCPS will work together to ensure there are no dual enrollments.

If a family lives inside the John Rex attendance zone and wants to enroll at JRCS, what do they do?

First, visit the John Rex website for more information and enrollment forms. Next, bring all necessary residency verification documents and enrollment paperwork to the appropriate school office.

What happens to students that reside within the John Rex attendance zone and are in a grade that is not yet offered?

These students will attend their assigned neighborhood school based upon their residence, unless they choose another schooling option.

Once accepted, what kind of transfer paperwork is necessary for a child that resides within the OKCPS school district (Tier 2)?

For those who reside within the OKCPS school district, a transfer request is not required. After being offered a seat at JRCS, parents must visit the appropriate JRCS school office to complete all the necessary enrollment paperwork.

Once accepted, what kind of paperwork is necessary for a child that resides outside the OKCPS school district (Tier 3 or 4)?

For those who reside outside the OKCPS school district, an Open Transfer must be completed. The JRCS offices will process the transfer, enter the transfer in the Wave, and issue a transfer number. Transfer requests will be submitted to the JRCS Board of Directors and followed up with a letter of notification to the parent.

Does John Rex School offer special education programs and services?

Yes. John Rex provides a variety of educational programs, which also include special education services. Like most public schools, JRCS cannot offer every special education program/service at one school site. Therefore, if the IEP team determines that the child should be placed in a specialized program that is not offered at JRCS, we will work closely with OKCPS to place the student in an OKCPS school that offers the appropriate programs and services.

What happens if a special needs child from Tiers 2, 3, or 4 with an existing IEP applies to John Rex?

Any child may apply for admission, including any child with an IEP. At enrollment, the IEP will be reviewed for service availability.